• art
  • movie
  • knowledge
  • music

Tuesday 16 November 2010

"Dogme 95"

1-Filming must be done on location. Props and sets must not be brought in. If a particular prop is necessary for the story, a location must be chosen where this prop is to be found.
2-The sound must never be produced apart from the images or vice versa. Music must not be used unless it occurs within the scene being filmed, i.e., diegetic.
3-The camera must be a hand-held camera. Any movement or immobility attainable in the hand is permitted. The film must not take place where the camera is standing; filming must take place where the action takes place.
4-The film must be in colour. Special lighting is not acceptable (if there is too little light for exposure the scene must be cut or a single lamp be attached to the camera).
5-Optical work and filters are forbidden.
6-The film must not contain superficial action (murders, weapons, etc. must not occur.)
7-Temporal and geographical alienation are forbidden (that is to say that the film takes place here and now).
8-Genre movies are not acceptable.
9-The final picture must be transferred to the Academy 35mm film, with an aspect ratio of 4:3, that is, not widescreen. (Originally, the requirement was that the film had to be shot using Academy 35mm film, but the rule was relaxed to allow low-budget productions.)
10-The director must not be credited.


In addition, I swear as a director I will refrain from all personal taste! I am no longer an artist. I swear that I will refrain from creating a work, because I think the moment is more important than the whole. My supreme goal will be to get the truth out of my characters and the action box. I swear to do this by all possible means and price of good taste and all kinds of aesthetic considerations.
So I made my vow of chastity.
Copenhagen, Monday 13 March 1995.
On behalf of Dogme 95,
Lars von Trier - Thomas Vinterberg

No comments:

Post a Comment